Friday, December 18, 2009

Avatar


Avatar is an "experience" worth taking without a doubt, but it is not a great film beyond its technical achievements. It has a mediocre script, retread storyline that has no surprises (if you have seen the trailer it had everything in it, unfortunately), and it is just too long. The action is spectacular though as is expected from a James Cameron film. The acting is solid, but nothing that will standout. The visuals are often breathtaking to behold (the CGI people in the movie look like real people that I could touch in 3-D and even more convincing than Gollum in LotR) and the cinematography is great. Those 3-D glasses will still continue to be a barrier for me though because they are simply uncomfortable and gave me a headache that kept me from completely immersing in the experience. Despite all my complaints, I can't wait to watch this again in 2-D to see how much the experience changes. It won't be the same on a regular TV, so if you are interested go see it in theaters.

1 comment:

Jimbob said...

Yeah you're right about the glasses. I missed a bit of the plot line in the beggining trying to get used to the glasses. But I thought that the story line was very good, maybe because i havent seen Dances With Wolves yet, but i thought the story was quite good. Action sequences were amazing.