Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Sister's Keeper


My Sister's Keeper glosses its subject until it glistens. No matter what is happening, it has to look beautiful and harmonious. It's just too much. I was never that emotionally involved with the characters & story because the director (Cassavetes) is constantly trying to pull at your heart strings and it gets annoying. There are a few touching scenes, like the romance between Kate and Taylor, but there's also too much of the tear-jerking kind. The movie needed a softer approach despite some decent performances. It also doesn't go deep enough into the moral and ethical questions that it raises because of the ending. You'll only get emotional if you cry at anything that is sad. I expect more than that. It still has to be done effectively and I don't think it was in this film.

No comments: