Saturday, December 26, 2009

Sherlock Holmes


An intermittently entertaining film with a nonsense plot and lackluster villain. Mark Strong is a great actor and can play a good villain type role (see Body of Lies), but his character is generic and boring so it isn't really his fault. Blackwood isn't menacing whatsoever and the lack of a good villain in a movie like this is almost disaster from the start. Downey and Law are pretty good and have some funny interplay between the characters, but there's little character development. McAdams has almost nothing to do in the film other than look pretty and keep up with the boys, which is disappointing because I was hoping for more being a fan of hers. The action sequences are nice and the special effects are pretty good, but the further I got into this film the less I liked it because it got dumber and more nonsensical. It reminded me of Angels & Demons from earlier this year in terms of story (that movie was far more entertaining for my money). There's very little closure at the end too because it leads into a sequel, so be prepared for that. I didn't dislike the film, but only find it worth a rental.

No comments: