Sunday, February 14, 2010

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief


A low rent fantasy adventure with bland casting, uninspired direction, humor that falls flat, a lack of fun, and no "magic" to speak of. I haven't read the novel, but I think this would have been an insult if I had. My friend that read the novel was disappointed. I was hoping for an exciting adventure from director Chris Columbus, who did a solid if unremarkable job on the first two Harry Potter films before they got taken to the next level by more inspiring directors. I now know that the reason the first two HP films were at least enjoyable was because of the incredible crew they had surrounding Columbus. He just doesn't do anything here in Percy Jackson that I really thought stood out. The special effects are decent and kids might enjoy it, but anyone older than 12 or so probably won't get a kick out of this kiddie adventure/Harry Potter wannabe.

No comments: