Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Serious Man


A Serious Man is a constantly bleak and depressing movie that some will inevitable dislike just for its outlook on humanity and its condition in this world, but for those who are looking for a thought provoking and unique cinematic experience, it will surely hit the spot. For me, I'm right in the middle between loving it and disliking it. It was at times funny, other times sad, and even shocking with some turns I did not expect. The movie does become rather absurd at times, but it only mildly annoyed me. Michael Stuhlbarg gives a standout performance as the main character whose life is unraveling before him without him (or us) understanding why and searching for an answer that just doesn't come. The ending has been controversial and my stance on it is that it fits the material well, even if it was a little confusing at first. Would I have liked a tidier ending? Maybe, but I wouldn't expect anything of the sort from the Coen Bros.

No comments: