Friday, March 12, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are


A film that lacks a tight focus and meanders along for 90+ minutes and just doesn't properly gel. It's a gorgeous movie and it has a decent central performance from Max Records, but I was underwhelmed. The movie has uneven pacing and drags in the middle with its uneventful moments. There's not really an emotional center to grab onto and that was the biggest deal breaker for me. It isn't boring per se, but I wasn't sitting there jumping for joy at every moment. The special effects for the creatures are simply outstanding as is the voice work from the cast, but it wasn't quite enough for me to recommend the movie. I can definitely see it going completely over a child's head, not that it mattered to me. This might be one of those movies I appreciate more on a second viewing, but for now I'm sticking to my guns.

No comments: