Monday, August 23, 2010

Kick Ass


A slightly disappointing film for me just because of the excessively optimistic word of mouth. I'm not saying it is bad in any way, I'm just saying I was expecting my socks to get blown off and it didn't happen. I'm a fan of Matthew Vaughn's previous movies (Layer Cake, Stardust) so I was very excited about this one. It's nice to have a tongue in cheek superhero movie that doesn't take itself seriously for once, but it kind of abandons it as soon as Red Mist comes into play. I did still enjoy all of the characters (especially Nic Cage as Big Daddy and Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl, who easily steals the show as soon as she hits the screen). Mark Strong is typecast as the villain (he's been doing that quite a bit lately), but he's still decent. There's plenty of great action sequences, lots of hardcore laughs, and even a little romance mixed in. It makes you care for the characters and their circumstances by the end too, which is nice. Like I said before, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything extraordinary nor did it do anything to elevate the superhero genre.

1 comment:

daphne sy said...

It's a fun movie. . .as in laugh out loud with my friends! This movie deserves the title kick-ass cause this movie kicked ass!

bio: http://buzztuning.com